Christine Todd Whitman, former Governor turned first term cabinet member for the Bush administration wrote a book entitled "It's My Party, Too: The Battle for the Heart of the GOP and the Future of America" which gave us an inside look at the hijacking of the Republican party by right wing extremists.
They are "drunk with power." They have been in complete control of the three branches of government for the last 5 years. The country, the world in fact, pulled together after 9/11 and rightfully so, but this President and his party chiefs have squandered that sentiment.
The President campaigned on bringing integrity and morality back to the white house. I ask you, has he? His administration is currently being investigated for leaking an Undercover CIA agents identity, however the prosecutor is looking much deeper, as early reports show. It seems clear to most that the indictment of I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby is only the first as Fitzpatrick claimed the investigation is "on going". This leaking of Valerie Plame's identity to Judy Miller, Bob Novak and Matt Cooper in a clear attempt at Political "pay back" to Ambassador Wilson, after his accusations (which the Bush Administration finally admitted that Wilson's claims were true, after all) of the administrations attempt to lie to the American People and take us into war, has now grown to the point where special council Patrick Fitzgerald is reported to be investigating even the reasons why we went to war.
You know, during the Cuban Missile Crisis, President Kennedy sent former Sec. Of State Dean Acheson to Europe to build support. Acheson explained the situation to French President de Gaulle offering to show him the highly classified satellite photos as proof. De Gaulle waved him away, saying "The word of the President of the United States is good enough for me." - No longer is this true.
- The Administration is under investigation not only for who leaked the name of Valerie Plame, but to the larger question of why the administration was engaged in an attempted to destroy Ambassador Wilson all the while not able to back up their own claims - a staple of the Karl Rove Play book.
- Bill Frist - Senate majority leader is under investigation for possible insider trading that makes the Martha Stewart situation look amateurish.
- Tom Delay is being investigated for illegal campaign finance issues - taking a play from the Rove Handbook (actually it would seem the most popular play) Delay tries to attack the District Attorney again not even denying that he did "launder campaign money".
- Close to home - Senator Vitter is being looked at for receiving illegal contributions from Jack Abramoff
- Congressman Boustany refuses to give back the Tens of THOUSANDS of dollars that Tom Delay gave him in his campaign, obviously thinking that he earned that money - after all his first vote in Congress was to basically do away with the Ethics Committee then investigating Tom Delay.
The republican party is drunk with power and almost completely corrupt. They are currently slashing funding to Medicaid, Medicare, Head Start, Education and many other programs saying that they have to reduce the budget after Katrina and Rita. However, they refuse to remove the over $70 BILLION dollars of NEW TAX CUTS that this budget includes for the RICHEST 1% of America. That is right, less than 100 residents in Lafayette will receive anything from this while THOUSANDS of kids and our seniors right here in Lafayette will feel the brunt of this administration's "tightening of the budget".
In fact, just yesterday a house committee voted completely along party lines to slash funding for Food Stamps. This will result in over 40,000 children losing their school lunch program. Is this what Jesus would do?
More on the Budget shortly... but where do I begin?